Thursday 16 June 2011

Creating my final garment..

(Carrying on from toile notes below)
Firstly I had to get my final pattern pieces un suring they were firmly pined to my garment. I had to consider a lay plan to ensure I was not wasting any material.
- Picture above shows where I opened up the pleated skirt to get the inital length of the skirt, I then did the same but for my waistband on the same fabric as the skirt and the waistband are the same colour.

Problem ?!- At this stage looking at the skirt I feel it may be too long, however I can adjust this on fittings week.

- I cut the waistband and then moved the waistbandup because I need the pattern cut out twice for the front and back waistband. Picture below of front and back waistband with interfacing for strength.
-Once I had all the fabric cut out. I moved on to creating my straps I pined the strap pattern piece to the material but bit lots of pins as the ensured it stayed in place as the fabric was very hard to cut.
-After cutting my straps out of my black material. I got my pattern piece and cut the same pattern out of interfacing to give the straps on my dress more strength.

- I then ironed the interfacing onto my fabric however I did not overlock my fabric because the interfacing stops it from fraying and the straps are going to be bagged out picture shown below...
- I then ironed my interfacing onto my front and back waistbands I also added interfacing to the waistband as I wanted the waistband to be strong to hold the weight of the pleats.

I then joined the straps together using a 1.5 seam allowance leaving a 20cm gap so there waas room for me to bag the straps out.
Creating my pleated skirt ...

- Firstly I attached my pattern piece to the fabric putting pins where the pleats lay, using my pattern pieces I then added 1.5 seam allowance to my fabric.

Picture shown below.
I then marked on the pleats with Taylors Chalk where the pleats lay I pinned them equally in place so they were all a equal distance.
Where the pleats had been pinned I sewed 5cm on each pleats to hold them in place. Ensuring each one was equally 5cm in length.Adding a zip into my final garment..
I measured the zip and came to the conclusion that it was to long so I shortened it picture shown below this then was the right length for my skirt.
I then sewed a 1cm hem to the bottom of the zip to the skirt. I used a tacking stich to place the bottom of the zip to the top of the waistband.


No comments:

Post a Comment